The huge shift to content marketing has many businesses scrambling to jump on the bandwagon. And they should. It’s the best wagon to be on. But before they do companies can waste lots of time, money, and resources by not having a strategy in place.
Your business can avoid these pitfalls by following these five easy tips to ensure the success of your content marketing program:
- Clearly define your goals. Your content marketing strategy will have several objectives. In the beginning, focus on one goal that will be most beneficial for your business and then plan accordingly. What’s most important to you? Becoming a thought-leader? Getting more newsletter subscribers? Driving prospects to a specific page on your website? The type and amount of content you create should be specifically tailored to achieve this goal.
- Know your target audience. You need to know with whom you’re speaking before you can begin an intelligent dialogue. Which is what your content should do: start a conversation with prospects by creating and sharing valuable content. What do they care about? What do they want to learn? What do they want to buy? Answer these questions and you’ll be well on your way to achieving your content marketing goals.
- Research, research, research. This includes keywords, competitors, and trends in your industry. Better research almost always leads to a more successful content marketing program. Keep track of influential industry blogs to see what the experts are talking about, and discover the specific terms your prospects are searching to find products/services similar to yours.
- Write like an expert. It sounds like a no-brainer, but how many terribly written articles have you read (or tried to read) online? Too many. Poor grammar, sentence structure, and transitions will quickly send prospects to your competitors. Poorly written articles will also seriously damage your brand. Remember that everybody can’t be an effective article writer. But that’s okay. You don’t have to be. You just need to hire a writer to handle content creation for you. Whether that means adding to your internal staff or outsourcing your content marketing program to an expert, make sure you put this critical part of your marketing plan in the right hands.
- Be smart with distribution. How well are you sharing your articles? If you’re just publishing them on your blog you’re missing out on many opportunities to expand the reach of your content. Everybody knows you need to leverage social media, but don’t forget about repurposing articles as email newsletters and republishing them on other websites after your own blog has received the original publishing credit.
What’s your content marketing strategy? Have you assessed the time, costs, and resources it will take to effectively implement your content marketing program? If you’re ready to jump on the content marketing bandwagon, it’s time to speak with an expert to ensure you do it right. Visit www.ContentMarketingProgram.com to learn more about growing your business with a content marketing program.